The SuperSonic wind Tunnel (SST) in Amsterdam is a facility for research and development as well as industrial applications in the supersonic domain
Type of wind tunnel
The SST is a blow down tunnel fed by an air storage vessel containing 600 m3 of dry air at a maximum pressure of about 4,000 kPa.
- 1.2 m wide by max 1.2 m height
- The diffusor section, holding the model support, can be moved back creating excellent accessibility of the model.
- Sting support system with one remote controlled degree of freedom (typically AoA) at pre-set value of second axis (typically AoS)
- Supersonic model support (-6 - +15 deg)
- Optional alpha shifter (-6 - +35 deg)
- Pre-set value of bank angle for spacecraft, launchers and missiles
- Compressed air supply with a capacity of 8 kg/s continuously at 40 bar
- High quality optical Schlieren system for shock and expansion waves visualization
- Common electrical and mechanical interfaces with HST for easy change of facility
- Configuration studies, database creation (supersonic aircrafts, fighters, spacecraft, launchers, missiles)
- (Basic) research tests